Undersea earthquakes can produce tsunamis that can strike the coast quickly and with little warning. If you are in a low-lying area along the coast and feel an earthquake :
# 1 ........During The Earthquake .....Drop, Cover And Hold
- Drop >> to the ground. You want to avoid flying objects.
- Cover >> find something sturdy to get under, like a desk or table. If nothing is available, get close to a wall and cover your head.
- Hold >> on and keep down. Stay there until the shaking stops.
# 2 ........After the Earthquake :
- If you are in a building >> carefully make your way to the exit.
- Avoid areas of a building >> that have suffered heavy damage.
- Before exiting >> make sure your exit is safe.
- As you exit >> look for parts of the building that may fall on you .
- Once outside >> watch for other hazards such as electrical wires that have fallen.
- Avoid areas >> that have an odor of natural gas since pipes may have ruptured.
A tsunami can be generated by an earthquake many hundreds of miles away. You may not feel the earthquake in the local area where you are. Federal and State agencies alert local officials who will sound the evacuation alarm. If you hear the alarm do not waste any time ....
# 3 ........ Tsunami Alert -- Immediate Evacuation
- Move >> inland and uphill quickly, or use a local evacuation route.
- Do not wait >> for any official alarm to sound. Get away from the ocean.
- Walk quickly >> to the nearest high ground at least 40 feet above sea level and well inland.
- Do not >> try to drive your vehicle. Traffic jams will trap many in deadly flood zones.
- Do not >> remain close to the beach or in any oceanfront buildings.
- It's time to move >> You may only have 5 to 10 minutes to get to high ground !!
# 4 ........Wait for official .. "all clear".. before returning to low lying areas
- Do not >> go back for belongings ... they can be replaced but your life can't.
- If there is a wave >> it is not safe to return. Stay where you are !!
- Never >> return to areas near sea level until it is announced that it is safe to do so !!
- Help each other .. survival may depend on it